Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Another Birthday

Yep, today is my birthday.  I have had so many, being in my 70's, that they roll around each year with alarming speed, coming much too  quickly, and more rapidly, each year.  The thrill of a party, or great event, is past, but the delight of another year of life is intense.  I love the way I can now drop what I don't want to do, and focus on what I want,  on my day.  I also love going out for a nice meal with my family, and perhaps a few friends.  I love the Facebook greetings that pour in in great numbers.  My birth day is a splendid day of reflection, rest, personal selfishness, adventure, surprise  and the wonderful feeling of being special to the people I love and who love me.

I had hoped the body shop would call and tell us we could pick up Thistle today, for my birthday gift, but that will be another day, and so I still have that to look forward to -- this week I hope!  So, with no Thistle, the tandem calls.


With five surgeries under by belt this past year and a half, bike riding has been out of the question.  But, just this week, we're riding again.  Although our rides are short, we've been on four, with each one a bit longer, and with each one making me feel younger, healthier, and happier.

Before our ride today we walked to town where we enjoyed coffee at our local and favorite coffee shop.  Following our ride we went out for lunch.   Dinner was with Yessi and Brad and Ed at Oyster Catcher in Coupeville.

Roast rabbit, beautifully served and yummy!
Mad dessert man digs in.

How could any birthday be better?    Color me all smiles.

~~~

"Today you are You, that is truer than true.  There is no one alive who is Youer than You.
 - Dr. Seuss


Postscript:    In designing my day to accommodate bike riding, I did not go to my book group gathering.  But, look at what I missed.


Oh the loss of zigging rather than zagging.    Seeing this birthday cake, and feeling the love behind it, I felt pangs of sorrow that I missed celebrating my birthday with my dear book group friends.  Yet, I felt no regrets spending the day as I did.

~~~

"The hardest thing about the road not taken is that you never know where it might have led."
 ~ Lisa Wingate, A Month of Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment

garden@whidbey.com