Monday, August 10, 2015

Worried? Who Me?

My dear friend Anne led me to this poem and it fit me so well I just had to write it down.  In writing it down I just had to share it.  In sharing it I simply had to say something.  Here's that something.

Ed and I are in the throws of "Are we coming or going?"   Are our decisions good ones?  We are aging.   Will we do it well?  Our world is suffering.   Will it recover?

I alone have other worries, like my son.  Oh how he hates me to worry.   I assure him I am not.  But I do.   And, my new daughter, Yessi.  I worry she is missing her family in China too much.  I worry.  I'm a mom.  

I learned to worry from my mom; and she hers.  And, like Mary, I found that worrying led to nothing.  Yet, I worry.

And then, one of my favorite blog's, Bumfuzzle, arrived in the morning post.  Pat writes, after viewing the caves at Gruyas de Cacahuamilpa National Park,  "A place like this can make you realize that your entire life amounts to nothing more than a drop of water on the cave floor."  

Aw, perspective…




~~~

I Worried

I worried a lot.  Will the garden grow, will the rivers 
flow in the right direction, will the earth turn
as it was taught, and if not how shall
I correct it?

Was I right was I wrong, will I be forgiven,
can I do better?

Will I ever be able to sing, even the sparrows
can do it and I am, well,
hopeless.

Is my eyesight fading or am I just imagining it,
am I going to get rheumatism,
lockjaw, dementia?

Finally I saw that worrying had come to nothing.
And gave it up.  And took my old body
and went out into the morning,
and sang.


~ Mary Oliver

2 comments:

  1. You are on an amazing adventure! I admire your tenacity and your willingness to be flexible and change plans and go with the flow. If we don't bend, we break. Your home looks delightful. A true labor of love and planning. I found you researching classes on building a rock house. I live in Tucson and dream of building a home that is self sufficient regarding water and electric. My daughter lives in Hong Kong, her husband is a pilot with Cathay Pacific so they live a life of adventure and travel. Enjoy your trip and congratulations on your expanding family. I visited Anderson Island this summer. Enchanting area...I wish you the very best!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, Thank you for your comment. It is so amazing to reach people far-and-wide through blogs. I am hopeful I will someday see a little-green-stone-house-by-Chris. Good luck in your life's adventures. Here's to lives of adventure and travel! Fran

    ReplyDelete

garden@whidbey.com