Wednesday, September 24, 2014

"…how far beyond zebra you go."

More on that special thing topic I discussed in my blog posting, Hundreds and Hundreds of Trees.  

When Brad was hiking the TeAraroa Trail in New Zealand I traveled with him, not physically, but by following his route on-line.  I researched the trail in detail and then blogged about his adventure.    Along the way I fell in love with New Zealand.    I learned about the environmental challenges, weather, surfing beaches, languages, and governmental structure.   From Cape Reinga, the north tip of the North Island, to Bluff, the south tip of the South Island, I was there.

Cape Reinga

Bluff

From afar I met Brad's friends, enjoyed the views, crossed waterways, fell in love with the huts,  celebrated the victories and even shared the loneliness.  I had an inspiring trip.   I blogged Brad's adventure on Home on Whidbey, starting at his departure for NZ in 2011.  






What all of this tells me is RVing does not need to have the just-killing-time definition I've been struggling with but instead it can be an in-depth exploration.  Geography, flora, fauna, people, art, and political issues can continue to challenge and entertain and teach me.    I do not need to stop being an environmentalist, feminist, or political junky.  And (BIG AND!), on the road I will have time for sketching, exercising, observing, writing, thinking, reading, and more. With attentiveness, there need be no limits.

Perhaps this seems obvious, but it didn't seem obvious to me.  I have especially admired Brad's travels but also the travels of my friends and other family members.   Never did their pursuits seem trivial to me.  The challenge and struggle has been from within.   

We leave Friday for California.  This will not be a long trip, but the longest we've taken yet in Thistle.   Our fourth shake down, probably one of many before our home sells and we take off for months on end.   




~~~

"There's no limit to how much you'll know, depending how far beyond zebra you go.

~ Dr. Seuss



No comments:

Post a Comment

garden@whidbey.com