Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Walls and Gates and more Walls

I, at first, thought Palm Springs, Palm Desert, and the other towns in this area, were lovely.  But, they have not passed the test of time.  Not only do I have to be pounded by the stupid trump wall, but this area is all about walls and gates and security and more walls.  What the wealthy haven’t figured out is if they’d stop flaunting their hoarded goods, they would not be so vulnerable to theft and vandalism.  

Any way, the prominent streets are boulevards — four lanes, often with a landscaped median and lined with one wall after another.  At first, I even though the landscaping was lovely.  But that too has failed the test of time.  The plants are uninspired, the maintenance looks like someone took a blowtorch to the gardens, and I’ve never seen so many poorly pruned trees in my life.  I won’t even mention green lawns and water wasting.

Plus everything is sterile.  Few people occupy the sidewalks and bike lanes, and in the stores and on the roads, the friendly quotient is way down.

Boy, oh boy, do I miss Langley — our funky, friendly, beautiful town.  A community that is mostly “real” and a community made up of loving, intelligent, community-minded folks.  And we’re not hiding from the world but opening our arms wide for all people — rich, poor, old, young, black, white, and brown.  We grow fruits and vegetables and beautiful free-flowing gardens.  We honor the sea and its inhabitants and we love the forest and its inhabitants.  Most of us care for one another in ways that are community events, like Hearts & Hammers.  Other times kind acts are hidden from view, but the generosity flows freely.  We have environmental treasurers and people treasurers all coming together to create beauty and community.   I Love Langley!

Here is a sampling of walls and gates and more walls...











                                                                             ~~~

         Living in sterile man-made environments that are disconnected from nature should
                                                      be expected to lead to sickness.

                                                                      Steven Magee

3 comments:

  1. i felt that in Palm Springs too ... i even climbed over the long 'wall' [with my bike that had a flat tire!] .. that surrounded the golfing community where i was staying, and promptly got 'arrested' by the 'community police'. Dragged by my ear to the door of the place I was staying, of whom I completely embarrassed [not me, but they were red-faced and appalled!] . ... Anyway, not my cup of tea for sure! and we truly MISS YOU here on windy, wet, wild Whidbey!! xoxoxooxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dianne. I wasn’t sure this post would please some, but I must say I am finding the walls and gates, not to mention lawns and fountains, too much, too sterile, too much of a put-off. The sanitized America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dianne. I wasn’t sure this post would please some, but I must say I am finding the walls and gates, not to mention lawns and fountains, too much, too sterile, too much of a put-off. The sanitized America.

    ReplyDelete

garden@whidbey.com